The activities in Research and Design (R&D) have always brought out new innovations, and it brought forth the development of the future generation of wireless systems. The third generation (3G) of mobile telephony promises to provide significant features, in higher data rates, up to about 2Mbits/second, teleconferencing with video transmission, web browsing, etc. With IMT-2000 standarisation, 3G mobile systems provide full roaming feature, allowing integration with GSM systems. The International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000) is a global standard, defining the parameters, specifications and recommendations for the third generation mobile technology. A framework for access of the 3G system, linking the diverse land based, wireless and satellite systems, is provided in IMT-2000.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is involved in 3G systems since 1998 and its role in this work of analysis and modeling of more advanced systems, in collaboration with Wireless Communication Technologies Group (WCTG), will be an ongoing process and will not stop at the 3G systems. The objective of NIST is to play an important role in future development of wireless communication systems, mainly contributing in –
– Developing software test methods to aid the R&D of future wireless communication systems.
– Evaluating the performance of various wireless communication systems technologies.
– Developing new, improved technologies and methodologies in wireless communication systems.
– To make significant contribution in improving the national and international standards in wireless communication systems.
The third generation (3G) wireless communication was primarily developed to provide high-speed data connectivity to cellular phone users. The technology was conceived far back in the early stages of the internet boom, when it was thought that there was a need to establish a feature to provide the cellular phone users the facility to access data and multimedia services at a suitable rate. In many countries in the world, the required spectrum was auctioned to the different service providers for fees ranging in millions of dollars.
IMT-2000 defines 3G as a wireless communication system, which provides data rates from 144kbps to greater than 2Mbps, which depend on the speed of the cell phone. The definition has been created by International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and is referred to as International Mobile Telecommunications 2000 (IMT-2000). There are ofcourse a number of technologies which could fulfill the features of the 3G system, with variations in the existing GSM 2G technology and this modification, or enhancement on 2G, is often referred to as 2.5G. This enhancement has brought in General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) and Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) in the 2G system, with CDMAone (IS95a) systems defining a number of evolutionary technologies, which are grouped and classified under CDMA2000.
Very briefly, CDMAone is a description of the entire wireless system based on TIA/EIA IS-95 (Telecommunications Industry Association / Electronic Industries Association Interim Standard – 95), which was first published in July 1993. CDMA2000 describes the family of 3G wireless communication systems, which uses Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), which is a multiple access system for digital radio to transmit voice, data and signalling data, such as, a dialed telephone number, between cellular systems and base stations.
There exists confusion as to the difference between the 3G and 2.5G systems. Though most of the CDMA2000 systems are technically modifications of the existing 2G architecture, they are being offered as 3G systems in the market. The GSM on the other hand, though capable of 3G performances, are being are being classified as 2.5G systems. The new standard was brought into the GSM 2G systems, classifying it as 2.5G, mainly to fulfill the 3G requirements, while the original 3G system uses an entirely different technology to achieve the same. This extension of the 2G system to 2,5G is called the Wideband-CDMA (W-CDMA), a technology used for transmission of data and voice.
There are efforts going on to deliver more global standard advanced services out of the CDMAone technology, which is basically the GSM 2G system. This will enable the market to provide services as the market demands. The efforts of CDMA Development Group (CDG) is leading to complete capabilities of the 3G systems and is now concentrating aggressively enable fast-track development of the CDMA2000, one of them being the 3G standard.
The GPRS services provided by 2G systems is similar to that serviced by 3G, but the 3G data services are a next step up from the GPRS services that we know of. The main difference is the faster data transfer rates that are available in 3G systems, offering up to 384 kilobits per second, which is 7 times faster than the standard dial-up systems. With 3G systems, you can achieve everything that you want to do, but in a much better way, a lot faster and from anywhere. The main advantage with 3G wireless communication system is that you can have a large call volume and it provides you with the support of multimedia data applications such as video and photography.
The 3G system has brought about a good many advantage in the application of wireless communication system and some of the main features include –
– Video Calling – While calling someone, you can see the person on the other side in real time. As long as both the phones are 3G supported, you need not have to imagine, how your caller or the person you called looks like as you can see him on your cell phone screen as you converse.
– Obtaining Information and News – You can search for Information and News from the internet, using your phone as a modem with your PC or laptop. You are able to use your favourite search engines to find the information that you are looking for, the daily news, stocks and shares, or practically any other information for you to keep yourself updated.
– E-Mail – While you are out from your office, there may be occasions when you want to send a e-mail message to your business associate or to anyone else for that matter. You can use your cell phone and directly send such e-mails. You may also look into your inbox to find out if you have any important e-mail. The 3G-enabled cell phone can also be used as a modem with your laptop or connected to your PDA.
– Games – Since the time mobile telephony has come into the market, games has always featured to be of great interest to cell phone users. Games have become more interactive and would still improve with the advancement of technology. For those who play these games on the cell phone for recreation purposes or for passing time, they would benefit more from 3G system, which enables downloading of these games at anytime from almost anywhere.
– Film – The quality of film over mobile system is greatly enhanced by the speed and video quality of the 3G system. It is now possible for you to view the trailers, film reviews and interviews relating to various films. You can also download mp3 music, wall papers and enter into competitions by means of your 3G-enabled cell phone.
– Sport – With enhanced graphic capability, you can now watch highlights of the sports that interests you and also have access to the scorecards of the sports that you are interested in.
– Music – the 3G system allows you to download various music streams, videos and interviews. It lets you compose your own ring tone through your cell phone keyboard.
The necessity of having a website has become imperative, as much as, that if a company does not have one website, it is as good as the company not existing. With the introduction of 3G systems, this has become truer, and you can gain access the internet from your 3G-enabled cell phone at anytime, from practically anywhere.
Cell phone use overseas. In 99% of the world the local cellular service standard is called GSM. We use this in the states as well. When combined with a SIM CARD (which usually goes under the battery of the phone) the phone is able to communicate and the SIM CARD also holds the telephone number and memory for pre-paid credit. Rates can be extremely low using this system. For example in 99% of all SIM CARDS incoming calls are free and calls to the states can cost a trifle. Such as, from the UK to the USA 7 cents/minute, from Israel 22 cents, from Australia 27 cents. Yes, USA Dollar cents! There are today even prepaid service providers in the USA offering rates of 10 cents per minute to call anywhere in the US to any type of phone. No contracts, no credit card checks, no bills. Pre-paid always means no minimums no contracts, no obligations. You only pay for the calls made. You’ll need an unlocked GSM tri-band or quadband UNLOCKED phone. You can buy factory unlocked phones and sim cards for more than 170 or the 193 countries on earth from http://www.planetomni.com Tel. # 800-514-2984.